Each academic program shall undergo a self-assessment every year / as specified by HEC. The Quality Assurance (QA) Directorate at NUST in coordination with Local Quality Enhancement Cell (LQEC) at each institution is responsible for planning, coordinating and following up on the self-assessment (SA) activities. The steps of the procedure for SA are as follows:
- QA Dte intimates the institutions about programs for which SAR is to be written.
- The LQEC initiates the SA one semester prior to the end of the assessment cycle through the Principal / Commandant / Dean Office in which the program is offered. However, if the program is undergoing the SA for the first time, the department will be given one academic year for preparation.
- Upon receiving the initiation letter the department shall form a program team (PT). The PT will be responsible for preparing a self-assessment report (SAR) about the program under consideration over a period of one semester. The team will be the contact group during the assessment period.
- The department shall submit the SAR to the LQEC through the concerned Dean. The LQEC reviews the SAR within one month to ensure that it is prepared according to the required format.
- The Principal / Commandant / Dean forms a program assessment team (AT) in Consultation with the LQEC recommendations within one month. The AT comprises of 2-3 faculty members from within or outside the university. The AT must have at least one expert in the area of the assessed program.
- The LQEC plans and schedules the AT visit period in coordination with department that is offering the program.
- The AT conducts the assessment, submits a report and presents its findings in an exit meeting that shall be attended by the LQEC, Dean, PT and faculty members.
- The LQEC shall submit an executive summary on the AT findings to the Principal / Commandant / Dean.
- The Department shall prepare and submit an implementation plan to LQEC base on the AT findings. The plan must include AT findings, and the corrective actions to be taken, assignment of responsibility and a time frame for such actions. Table A.2 in Appendix A provides a format for preparing a summary of the implementation plan.
- LQECs shall submit complete SARs to QA Dte as per given schedule.
- The LQEC shall follow up on the implementation plan to ensure departments are adhering to the implementation plan. The academic department shall inform the LQEC each time a corrective action is implemented. LQEC shall review the plan once a semester to assess the progress of implementation. Table A.2 will provide the LQEC with guidelines for monitoring the implementation.
- LQECs shall forward progress on implementation plan to QA Dte :